OptaPro Forum 2019
Heading into its sixth year, the OptaPro Forum has become one the leading global football analytics conferences, attracting over 50 clubs from around the world. The event comprises presentations that apply analytics to answer football questions covering both performance analysis and recruitment. The big opportunity to current and aspiring analysts is that it gives you a chance to present your work to people inside football clubs.
Although the Forum is an invitation-only event, anybody can submit a proposal to present. The OptaPro Analytics Forum encourages proposals from people with a range of backgrounds as this can often bring a fresh perspective that has not previously been considered. In previous years, presenter backgrounds have included academia, marketing, data science, technology as well as students.
The event remains a unique opportunity for the wider football analytics industry, offering a place to share new ideas and best practice and discuss analytical frameworks that can be implemented within a football club.
Alongside this new opportunity to work with tracking data, the Forum offers a chance to work with detailed Opta data. At the 2019 Forum, participants will be able to access:
– F24 – our most detailed data feed – capturing every touch of every player on the pitch
– Metrics deriving from the Opta possessions and sequences framework
– Expected goal and expected assist outputs
– Shot clarity and shot pressure – additional Opta qualifiers introduced last season
This data can be provided in XML or JSON format.
To request a one-match F24 sample, please contact email@example.com
How to submit a proposal
There will be two submission categories for the 2019 event.
– Open call: Opta data
– Open call: Opta data plus official LaLiga tracking data
In submitting a proposal, you will need to provide the following information. Proposals should be a maximum of two A4 sides and sent in a Word file.
Judges will evaluate proposals against the following criteria: innovation, relevance, application and method.
In your submission, it is essential that you explain how your analysis can influence the game from a tactical perspective, impact performance or enhance a club’s recruitment strategy.
2. Aims of this study
3. Proposed area of study
4. Proposed method
6. I have/have not worked with Opta data before (select as appropriate)
7. Contact details including location*
All proposals should be submitted to ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ using the subject: Analytics Forum 2019 proposal.
Participants can submit more than one proposal.
The deadline for submissions is Monday 15th October.
*OptaPro will have a small travel budget available to support speakers for the 2019 OptaPro Analytics Forum. This will be discussed further with successful applicants.
Reviewing the proposals
All proposals are anonymously judged by an expert panel who have been chosen due to their experience, knowledge and expertise in the application of football analytics.
– Dr Ian Graham, Head of Research, Liverpool FC
– Brian Prestidge, Head of Data Insights, City Football Group
– Devin Pleuler, Analytics Manager, Toronto FC
– Johannes Harkins, Data Scientist, OptaPro
– George Syrianos, Head of Data Analytics, VfB Stuttgart
The panel review proposals based on innovation, application, feasibility and method.