Website Reading FC in partnership with Cardiff Metropolitan University
JOB TITLE: Data Analysis Studentship
DEPARTMENT: Academy (Operations)
LOCATION: Training Ground, Madejski Academy Training Complex
SALARY: MSc Course Fees paid directly to University
HOURS OF WORK: Variable with at least one day per week for studies
REPORTS TO: Lead Academy Performance Analyst
START DATE: Monday 2nd September 2019
This is a studentship within the Academy Performance Analysis department. The department’s responsibility is to conduct in-depth analysis and deliver feedback and support to players, coaches and the wider multidisciplinary staff. The Data Analysis Studentship will work across all age groups within the Academy, from Under 9 – Under 23, whilst also offering additional support to the wider environment to promote the elite learning environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
These are personal or ‘soft’ qualities and skills that are essential to the successful delivery of this role.
- Conduct yourself with an exceptional work ethic and integrity aligned to and in harmony with that of the wider Academy staff.
- Engage high quality communication skills, utilising a number and variety of communication channels, this may involve but not be limited to players, parents, colleagues and external agencies.
- Establish and develop effective working relationships with the academy analysis, coaching and multidisciplinary staff.
- Utilise effective time management skills to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Contribute to an elite learning environment in which players and staff are expected to demonstrate work ethic, integrity and teamwork.
- Maintain a positive, harmonious approach at all times in line with the values of the academy.
A non-exhaustive list of essential regular tasks and processes to be followed as part of daily, weekly and seasonal life within the Academy.
- Collect, analyse and report statistical data to Under 9 – Under 23 players and staff, contributing to training analysis, pre-match planning and post-match feedback/feedforward.
- Work with Recruitment department to support provision of player reporting and profiling.
- Produce detailed post-match reports for all U23, U18 & U16 games.
- Maintain and analyse databases collected throughout the season.
- Support with filming of training and academy games programme.
- Contribute to multidisciplinary support in line with individual learning plans.
- Provide innovative, project-based exploratory analysis to broader academy programme.
- Ensure production of relevant video materials to support the broader academy.
- Liaise with all relevant staff, where appropriate, to ensure that information, relevant to duties, is communicated effectively.
- Ensure player welfare is always the primary consideration.
- Adhere to a strict code of confidentiality in respect of any information relating to Reading Football Club and its operation.
- Be presentable at all times when working and demonstrate that you can represent the face of the club in the manner expected.
- Maintain Reading Football Club’s Safeguarding (Child Protection), Health, Safety and Equal Opportunity procedures and practice.
- Act in a manner that supports the Club’s Vision and Values at all times.
- Undergraduate degree in relevant field at 2:1 or above
- Level 2 coaching qualification (any sport)
- ISPAS accreditation
- At least 1 year’s experience providing performance analysis support or data science within an sports environment
- Experience handling data sets utilising relevant software packages (e.g. Microsoft Office, Apple iWorks)
- Experience providing performance analysis support or data science within football
- Experience using multiple data visualisation techniques
- Good working knowledge of performance analysis software packages (e.g. SportsCode, Hudl, CoachPaint)
- Basic knowledge of principles of youth development and the needs of elite athletes
- Basic knowledge of the academy football environment
- Basic knowledge of performance pathways in football or other sports
- Basic knowledge of other sport science disciplines
- Ability to communicate complex data to a variety of audiences
- Highly proficient data analysis skills on both Mac and Windows platforms
- Interpersonal skills capable of fostering relationships across the organisation
- Ability to work under pressure independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines
- Basic computer programming skills (e.g. R, python, matlab)
- Ability to implement predictive modelling techniques into complex sporting environments
- Positive approach to problem solving with a willingness to think innovatively
- Drive for professional development and furthering of oneself and those around them
- Willingness to work as part of a team towards broader organisational objectives
The application process includes two independent elements.
1. In order to be short listed for the studentship role, you must first have applied and be offered a place on the MSc Professional Practice programme at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
If you require further information on the course please contact the Programme Director, Lucy Holmes (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Apply directly to the club for the studentship placement with CV and covering letter to email@example.com
- Further details can be found here
If you require further information about the studentship placement then email Academy Development Manager, Will Oldham (WOldham@readingfc.co.uk)
Applications should be received by 5pm Friday 2nd August 2019. Shortlisted applicants will be asked for interviews during the week beginning Monday 12th August 2019.
Please note the role will start Monday 2nd September 2019.
To apply for this job please visit methub.cardiffmet.ac.uk.