Lawn Tennis Association & Middlesex University
MSc PEFORMANCE ANALYSIS PLACEMENT (s) with the LTA and Middlesex University)
Performance Intelligence and Analysis Lead
Remote / National Tennis Centre (100 Priory Lane, Roehampton, London SW15 5JQ)
Bursary award of full UK fees for the Sports Performance Analysis MSc (campus or distance learning course) up to £10,500 co-sponsored by LTA and Middlesex University, plus travel expenses where required. Specific bursary award will be a determined through the recruitment process
September 2022 – September 2023. Specific dates will be determined through the recruitment process.
Please note up to 3 specific MSc placements are available as part of this application process.
About the Opportunity
The LTA’s Performance vision is to ‘be one of the most respected nations for player development,’ creating a pathway for British champions that nurtures players, people and leaders. The Performance Analysis function is a critical enabler by delivering targeted and impactful video and statistical intelligence to underpin evidence-based coaching and enable more effective decision making. The Team of Performance analysts, Data Engineer and wider support deliver this by focussing on direct player support and providing game wide intelligence to understand the trends and standards needed to move through our player pathway.
The LTA, in collaboration with Middlesex University, are looking to offer up to three applied Sport Performance Analysis Placements starting from September 2022 and running for the full academic year.
This is an exciting immersive learning opportunity and would provide the successful candidate(s) with a rare opportunity to develop their technical and non-technical skills in an applied setting, under the guidance of the LTA’s analysis team. The expectations are this would be a ‘full time’ placement (maximum 28 hours per week time commitment), which would be delivered in dovetail with their MSc academic commitments. It is anticipated that all academic research / coursework would be channelled into tennis specific projects. In addition, optional CPD opportunities will be offered to the successful candidate at regular intervals throughout the season, designed to align and assist with the MSc course requirements.
If this unique opportunity is of interest to you, please see the below application process.
Working closely, and under the guidance of the LTA Performance Analysis team, the successful candidate will:
- Player Support– Support the collection and analysis of relevant tournament focussed intelligence, focussed on our bespoke player support needs.
- It is anticipated this will involve a weekly commitment to supporting our ‘capture – tag – report’ workflows within Tournaments, focussed on specific next round or GB player analysis.
- Support will be targeted primarily at our highest ranked professional players playing the relevant Grand Slam, and ATP / WTA World tour events. A commitment to the intensity of the tennis calendar and delivering match tagging on time is essential.
- Deliver relevant long-term intelligence to track and monitor our funded LTA player’s progression against their individual development goals.
- LTA game intelligence and selection analysis – support the LTA team with targeted data projects to feed into the LTA’s selection-based intelligence and wider game understanding projects. This may include supporting a range of coach development initiatives.
- Direct Camp and Tournament Support – attend a number of targeted UK based camps and tournaments supporting our video capture and feedback requirements. It is anticipated this will involve circa 10 to 20 direct contact days (per placement) across our performance pathway and at a range of UK venues. Specific dates will be confirmed in January however this will
- Bespoke Projects – Support the LTA Team with bespoke performance analysis projects and data management processes.
In addition, the successful candidate can use the data they collect in the above areas (subject to LTA approval) for research project and dissertation purposes, with an aim of producing research which has real applied value and impact to the sport.
Each unique placement will have a core focus to spend the majority of their time supporting one of our LTA designated LTA programs. At this stage this will likely be a placement focussed on our Men’s program, women’s program and Doubles program. The specific remit per placement will be determined through the recruitment process.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must meet the criteria for acceptance onto the MSc Sport Performance Analysis course at Middlesex University (On Campus or distance learning)
- Experience and understanding of performance analysis processes with a minimum of 1 year applied experience. Previous experience in an applied setting within a professional team / NGB is desirable.
- Committed to a long-term career in Performance Analysis, and consequently a commitment to attend and complete the MSc at Middlesex University (the in-person course is typically taught on-campus however depending on government restrictions, a blended learning approach to learning may be utilised i.e. a mix of both online and face to face).
- A minimum of a 2:1 undergraduate degree in sports science or a related subject
Skills and Knowledge
- Developing skills of match tagging to create objective reports using appropriate sport specific software
- Developing skills across industry standard analysis software’s and hardware’s. Proficient skills in dartfish and Power BI is desirable.
- Developing skills of applying robust and appropriate statistical approaches to performance analysis questions (data validity, user reliability, normative profiling etc)
- Knowledge and developing skills in data visualisation approaches to produce compelling insight to ‘land the message’ with the end user
- Knowledge of Junior and Professional Tennis. A direct playing experience to a high level in tennis is desirable.
- Knowledge and a solid understanding of Performance coaching and the coaching process. Relevant coaching experience and qualifications (in any sport) is desirable
- Personal drive and commitment to forge a career in performance analysis
- Passion to learn and develop ‘on the job,’ while being confident to contribute ideas into the team.
- ‘Self starter with a Can do’ attitude and exceptional work ethic.
- Pro-activity to take on responsibility, work independently and deliver what is needed.
- High standards of accuracy and attention to detail in all they do.
- Effective planning and organisational skills with a positive approach and mind-set to seeing things through to completion. The ability to organise him / herself effectively is key.
- Creativity in identifying solutions and solving problems
- Undertake appropriate professional development to keep abreast of world’s best practice
- Excellent team player who wants to learn and contribute to the LTA.
- Ability to create and develop strong working relationships across of range of different groups and individuals. Being comfortable in an elite high-performance environment is key.
- Can Communicate in a clear and compelling manner, adapting style to meet audience needs
- Commitment and positive attitude to deliver consistently across all areas of delivery
- Ability to maintain objectivity and independence.
- Openness to ask for help when needed.
- Ability to utilise data to identify key issues to achieve long-range goal
This above person specification is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive. It is a broad outline of the potential roles and responsibilities, and is intended to excite and attract the right person who wants to learn on the job and contribute to the development of the LTA and tennis in the UK.
- Personal circumstances must allow the candidate to work flexibly including evenings and weekends. Specifically the below Tournaments will be critical periods of Support
- All 4 Grand Slams – Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, US Open
- All ATP and WTA 1000 events
- UK based Grass court period
How to apply for this opportunity
1. Enrol independently on the Sport Performance Analysis MSc (On-campus or Distance education versions) at Middlesex University:
- The successful applicant will be expected to be independently accepted on the Sport Performance Analysis MSc course for the 2022/2023 Academic year, following the standard process for enrolment on this course.
- The responsibility is on the applicant to ensure that they apply within the pre-determined timelines and achieve the entry level requirements for enrolment.
- Specific course details and to enrol on the course can be found here; on-campus version (click here) or the online distance education version (click here).
- This opportunity is currently open to candidates already enrolled on the MSc at Middlesex University (September 2022 start) course or to candidates in the process of enrolling.
2. Apply directly to the LTA to be considered for the placement opportunity
- To apply formally, please email
- A copy of your Curriculum Vitae
- A maximum 500-word synopsis answering “Why you, why this opportunity?”
- Please send your application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 15th 2022 (at 9am)
- If you are shortlisted to the next stage, there will be a formal interview process scheduled in late July / Early August
- To apply formally, please email
If you have informal questions about this placement or the MSc courses please do not hesitate to contact Chris White (email@example.com) or Dr Nimai Parmar, Senior Lecturer in Sport Performance Analysis (N.Parmar@mdx.ac.uk)
A PDF version of this advert is available to download here
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org