Website British Swimming
MSc Performance Analysis
British Swimming and University of Chester
· Want the opportunity to work in Olympic sport?
· Do you want the chance to work alongside and learn from the best coaches, sport science and medicine practitioners and athletes?
· Are you committed to a career in Performance Analysis?
British Swimming in partnership with the University of Chester is offering an exciting MSc Placement opportunity to a number of motivated and passionate students looking for a future career in Performance Analysis
Alongside their studies on the MSc Performance Analysis course the successful candidates will engage in an industrial placement spending time learning and working alongside British Swimming practitioners, elite coaches and athletes as part of the British Swimming World Class Programme.
This placement opportunity to support the Performance Analysis section of the Sport Science and Medicine Team at British Swimming. This placement will offer students a number of days of applied experience which are remunerated both at competition and remotely to provide competition analysis, statistical analysis and the opportunity to present back to coaches and athletes.
-attendance at a 2 day training course to upskill successful candidates in British Swimming performance analysis systems and standard operating procedures
-attendance at 2 x 1 day Swimming performance analysis forums to present back to key SSSM staff and coaches
-availability to attend at least 10 (up to 30) identified days throughout the 12 month MSc course to provide performance analysis services to British Swimming. Successful candidates will be remunerated for any work completed within this allocation.
-capturing, tagging and analysing key performance metrics either in a competition environment or remotely using cloud based video sharing software.
-reporting back on key metrics as identified by the Analysis Lead for British Swimming
-utilising British Swimming race analysis database in order to identify world trends
-communication of findings to SSSM team, coaches and athletes
Person Specification for the Studentship Placement
· Must meet the entry level requirements and be accepted onto the MSc Performance Analysis course. This includes graduates with a BSc in Sports Science, Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics (or related discipline) (minimum of 2:1 honours or equivalent)
· A long term commitment to a career in Performance Analysis, or equivalent within elite sport
· An understanding of the role of Performance Analysis and Sport Science support either through academic qualifications or experience
· Skilled in developing effective relationships and trust with all around them
· Ability to communicate effectively
· Ability to operate independently and using own initiative
· Reliable, hard working and ability to meet deadlines
· A high level of competency in Microsoft Office particularly Excel
· The above is not regarded as exclusive or exhaustive
· Experience of providing performance analysis services to athletes and coaches to improve performance
· Basic knowledge of data and video analysis systems and their use and impact to improve performance
· -a keen interest in exploring large data set and trend analysis
· -successful candidates will be expected to have access to their own transport
· -this role will involve some UK travel and may involve some Foreign travel where required
· -this role will require work at weekends and during bank holidays
How to apply for the Studentship opportunity
The application process contains two independent requirements.
1. Enrol independently on the MSc Performance Analysis
· The successful applicant will be expected to be independently accepted on the MSc Performance Analysis course for the 2017/2018 Academic year, following the standard process for enrolment on this course.
· The responsibility is on the applicant to ensure that they apply within the pre-determined timelines and achieve the entry level requirements for enrolment.
· Specific course details on the can be found here:
· It is expected that, regardless of being accepted for the British Swimming placement, that all applicants will commit to the MSc Performance Analysis at the University of Chester
· This opportunity is open to candidates already enrolled on the MSc Performance Analysis course or to candidates in the process of enrolling.
2. Apply directly to British Swimming to be considered for the Studentship placement
· To apply formally please send a C.V. and personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 28th September 2017 at 5pm.
· The personal statement will outline the following question and will be a maximum of 500 words;
‘Why you, and how can Performance Analysis aid Swimming’
· If you are shortlisted to the next stage, there will be a formal interview scheduled on Thursday 5th October at the University of Chester. Details of this interview process will be communicated in the week of the 2nd of October. For informal information on either the MSc course or the Studentship opportunity then please contact Oliver Logan, Analysis Lead at British Swimming (email@example.com).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org